Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness


Everyone in Prentisstown can hear everyone else's thoughts in the form of raucous, overwhelming Noise - there is no space for privacy, secrets, or silence. But one day, deep in the swamp, Todd Hewitt and his dog find an area of complete quiet, which is completely unheard of. Slowly, Todd beings to suspect that Prentisstown has a history different from the one Todd has been taught, and this history drives Todd and Manchee to flee for their lives. The only problem? It's hard to run when there's nowhere to go and everyone can hear you think.

The Knife of Never Letting Gothe first book in the Chaos Walking trilogy, was recommended to me a couple weeks ago by Michelle (a.k.a. Clover) of Fluttering Butterflies. If I liked the Hunger Games series, she said, I'd like the The Knife of Never Letting Go. I immediately put the book (which was, of course, checked out) on hold at my local library, and it came in a few days ago. Michelle, you were definitely very absolutely extremely correct. The Knife of Letting Go is the perfect book for anyone who likes the Hunger Games trilogy - and, for that matter, anyone else.

Like most people invested in the Hunger Games books, I cried while reading Mockingjay. However, I was suprised to find that I cried even more during The Knife of Never Letting Go. Does that make me a bad Hunger Games fan? Anyway, The Knife of Letting Go is absolutely amazing (though not because it made me cry - that does not, in my opinion, define a good book). Todd, who narrates the book, cannot read or write, and I thought at first that his dialect might detract from my experience. However, it became more natural and less noticeable over time, and I didn't really have any issue with all the "ain't"-ing. Todd and Manchee were both very likeable, and I thought Ness did an excellent job of portraying what dogs would say if they could talk. The plot was excellent - fast-paced, fairly complex, and utterly engaging. The Knife of Letting Go was, for me, one of those books where you completely and entirely forget what's going on around you and are wholly absorbed into the story. The book accurately portrays the costs of war while not being too overwhelmingly depressing, and leaves the reader wanting more. 

Now, I need to go finish my homework so I can get started on The Ask and the Answer!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed this one. I swear to you, The Chaos Walking trilogy is my favourite series OF ALL TIME. I like it better than The Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter. I had to put Monsters of Men down to remember to breathe and my heart was pounding incredibly fast. I've never felt like that reading a book before. Can't wait until you get to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good trilogy. Though i think im a little to young to understand the real meaning i like the action. I have met Patrick Ness before, pretty kewl ^.^ .
    finished Hunger Games trilogy ages ago :D but im rereading them for the third time XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clover- I can't wait either!! :)

    Kara- Awesome! And I agree; even if you don't get the deeper meaning, the book is very suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete