Monday, March 29, 2010

Box 21 - Roslund and Hellstrom

Box 21 is about two Lithuanian girls who have been tricked into becoming prostitutes in Stockholm. Eventually, Lydia and Alena draw up a plan to strike back at their captors, and this is the basis for the plot of the book.

I checked this book out because it was recommended for fans of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. While I see the connection between the two, I didn't enjoy Box 21 nearly as much as the other. According to the inside flap, "Box 21 is a Scandinavian thriller of the highest order: a mind-blowing psychological drama written with powerful intensity." While it was indeed an intense book, it was so intense that I got tired--by the time I was halfway through the book, I was ready to quit. I couldn't relate to the characters at all, and I simply did not care about what happend to anyone. I would not recommend Box 21, but maybe it's just me--professional reviewers seem to love it. At any rate, I definitely won't be reading any other books by Roslund and Hellstrom.  

1 comment:

  1. One to avoid then - shame as its a subject matter which interests me.

    ReplyDelete