Monday, September 7, 2009

The Little Bookroom by Eleanor Farjeon

This will be a mini-review, as I haven't got much time, but believe me when I tell you that this book deserves a much better review than I give it.

The Little Bookroom is a book of short stories for children first published in 1955. I stumbled upon it at my local library (where I stumble upon most of the books I read), and am ever so glad I did. Some of the stories are fantastical, others are not; some of the stories are only a few pages, others are longer and have miniature chapters. But each and every one of them, no matter the subject or length, is absolutely precious and magical and wonderful and you should go read the book right now. I'm not sure if it's still in print--*Googles it*--yeah, it's still in print, and it happens to have won the very first Hans Christian Andersen Award and the Carnegie Medal, to boot. So you don't have to take my word for it.

A Footnote: Apparently, Eleanor Farjeon turned down yet another honor, Dame of the British Empire, saying she "did not wish to become different from the milkman".

No comments:

Post a Comment